Sometimes when you least expect it, life happens at lightning speed.
Recently I’ve had a number of things happen that need my immediate attention. My husband is having health problems, all stemming from advanced stages of diabetes. He’s in the hospital as I write this.
I am so grateful to friends, colleagues, and perfect strangers who shared words of encouragement with me after I posted a quick reality check on Facebook:
Got a LOT of ailing people around me. Mom has cancer, hubby’s got to start dialysis. So grateful to have such amazing, supportive people in my life, especially my business girlfriends! Clients, colleagues, et al have been super supportive while I had a crazy week. Appreciating the prayers and light you’re all sending my way! Thanking Creator for putting you all in my life.
Over 50 people left comments of love, light, healing, and support.
I felt pulled in many directions and finally hit the end of my rope. Super Woman needed a break and with some very kind and compassionate advice from Therese Skelly, Catherine Bruns, Andy Spyros and a number of others, I sent out a request for help.
First off, Therese facilitated a call for my mastermind group. She rocked it and was able to help my clients with her talents and gifts.
Catherine sent me a checklist of things I could start doing for myself. She was very matter of fact yet very loving with her advice. She’s known me for over 7 years and understands how I often push myself full throttle and forget to check the fuel gauge.
Andy, a retail store owner and psychic in training, gave me incredible insights into the energetic side of things. Like Catherine, she’s known me for years and sees (more clearly than I do!) when I need to step back.
So here’s what I did… and let me tell you THIS WASN’T EASY BUT I’M SO GLAD I DID IT.
1. I came to terms with the fact that I needed help and was in overwhelm. Admitting the problem is the first step.
2. I made a list of colleagues I could ask to help me. I sent a very honest email out on Saturday morning and within minutes I had people offering to conduct a virtual retreat I had planned for my clients, to coach my clients, to write blog posts.
3. In that email, I also stated that I could not repay or reciprocate the favor. I was asking selfishly and that anyone stepping forward would understand that. This was HARD to do. I’m so about giving, and as Andy pointed out to me, I tend to meet people halfway then 10 steps beyond. (Can anyone else relate to this?)
4. Working from a hospital waiting room with my Blackberry, a stack of index cards and a really nice pen a guy at EZ Lube gave me because I needed a pen (it’s my favorite pen because it reminds me of the kindness of strangers) I kept track of all the responses. 8 people offered to clear their schedules for me. 10 people are sending guest blog posts. Everyone sent hugs and prayers.
5. Whoa. That was my response. Love, love, love. Pouring out, generously, unconditionally, for fun and for free. These are true friends.
Laura West called my cell and we chatted briefly while I was getting ready to head back to the hospital. Here’s what we realized:
You know how when there’s a crisis, friends and family will come over with covered casserole dishes? Well, this outpouring of support was the virtual business version of coming over with casseroles.
My friends are spread out across the globe. They can’t come over and babysit or clean my house, but they can take over some things in my business. They show their love, care, and support by sending blog posts and offering to answer questions from my clients.
This is yet another reason why relationships in business are so important.
You’ll see what this type of support looks like in the next few weeks as several guest blog posts are published. Not only will you get great information on making money doing what you love, online visibility, social media, productivity, and all the things we need for a thriving business…
… but you’ll also see WHO my most amazing friends are when you read my blog in coming weeks.
Thanks everyone for the understanding.
THIS is what a heart based business network looks like!